When you’re attending a small summer get together with close friends and family — and you’re trying to conceive — the last thing you want to hear is one of those loaded questions, like; “Oh, why aren’t you drinking? Are you expecting? Are you trying?” Fortunately, there’s a simple way to enjoy delicious drinks without the awkward confrontation — alcohol-free cocktails!
Hosts take note: if you’re not trying to conceive yourself, keep in mind some of your guests may be — or perhaps aren’t drinking for a slew of other reasons! While it’s great to stock up on beer and wine, you’ll want some non-alcoholic options on hand as well. So skip the pre-mixed cocktails or punches and instead set up a drink bar, allowing guests to add what they want without making those who aren’t drinking feel the need to speak up.
Mojitos are a quintessential summer beverage that are refreshing and easy to make. Fortunately, since they’re light in color and are topped with club soda, it’s hard to tell whether they are made with or without alcohol visually.
- 4 mint leaves
- 5 slices of cucumber
- 4 ounces of club soda
- 2 ounces of lime juice
- ⅕ ounce of agave or simple syrup
- Take your cucumber slices and mint leaves and muddle them in your cocktail shaker.
- Pour in your lime juice, agave, and ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain into an ice-filled glass.
- Top it off with club soda to the brim.
- Garnish with a sprig of lime.
For guests who would prefer their drinks with alcohol, set aside some white rum—which can be added to taste.
While frosé is a summertime favorite, it’s also easy to make it fun and interesting without the added alcohol.
- 1 cup of sparkling rosé grape juice
- ⅓ cup of watermelon juice
- Mint for garnish
- Combine grape juice and watermelon juice in your blender with ice.
- Blend until you have a slushy texture.
- Serve with a single mint leaf for garnish.
For those who would prefer alcohol, the sparkling grape juice can be replaced with actual rosé.
Sweet Tea (Sangria)
Of the mocktails, this one is by far the easiest to make and requires no replacements but instead just leaving out the alcohol. Here’s how you can add some sweetness to your summertime kickback.
- 1 cup of your favorite sweet tea
- 3 ounces of mixed berries
- 2 peach slices
- Mint for garnish
- In a glass, add your berries, peaches, and ice.
- Pour in you sweet tea to the brim
- Garnish with a mint leaf
For those who are having alcohol, they can add their choice of white wine to taste.
And of course, you can always go the traditional day-time drink route and stock a table full of fruits and fruit juices, lemonades, and iced teas, alongside champagne and liquor so guests can craft their own cocktails (or mocktails) to their liking!